Here’s how to set it up:
- Go to Messages in the Messages
- Click Preferences (or use the keyboard shortcut: ⌘,)
- Select Accounts
- Add an account by clicking the + sign, which takes you here:
- Account Type: Jabber
- Account Name: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get your Facebook chat address here by clicking “iChat” under “Connect to your client”
- Enter your password
- Server options:
- Server: chat.facebook.com
- Port: 5222
- Leave “use SSL” unchecked
- Click “Done”
Don’t have the Messages app?
Get the beta from Apple or follow a set up iChat with the same settings.
More about Messages
Apple just released a beta of Messages, a new version of iChat . It will be included in Apple’s next version of OS X, Mountain Lion.
(See also: Messages, a new app)
If you and your friends have iPhones, Messages is worth getting. It lets you text your friends (that have iPhones) straight from your computer. The app uses iMessage to do this, which essentially makes texting between iPhones more like chatting online.
More on iMessage: