Just three months ago, Instagram rolled out a major update to the layout of user profiles on their mobile app. Now, finally, they’ve launched the last piece to the puzzle: web profiles. They started rolling them out earlier this week and by now, most of you should see your new web profile by going to www.instagram.com/your-user-name (click on the photo above to go to mine, for example).
A few observations -
- When you’re logged into your own account, you can follow / un-follow other users.
- There’s no way to browse your feed or see photos from your friends.
- There’s also no way to see your Notifications or even a way to view the list of your followers.
- You can click a friend’s name (if they’ve left a comment on your photo) to get to their profile.
- If you’ve geotagged your photo, the location name appears under the photo, but you can’t browse other photos at that location.
It’s certainly a welcome update to, what very well be my favorite social network. The lack of a web presence outside the mobile app was a gaping hole in Instagram’s service since the beginning. I’m sure they’ll continue to update and improve web profiles, adding and enhancing features over time. In the meantime, if you’re looking for a great tool to use Instagram on your computer that actually gives you nearly full capabilities as the mobile app, my favorite service is Statigr.am.
You should follow Mike on Twitter for more great tech insights and good conversation. If Twitter isn’t your thing, fear not, you can always keep up with Mike on his personal blog as well at: www.MikeBeauchamp.me or on Facebook.